IE7 Search Provider Guide Updated

Microsoft has updated their webpage listing search engines you can add to IE7′s search box. Besides the four that were already there (AOL, Ask Jeeves, MSN and Yahoo!), you can now add (click on the link to do it from this page):

However, the page also says that you can now add A9 OpenSearch engines, by using the following link syntax:

DESCRIPTION

URL should be replaced by the URL of the OpenSearch description document. For example, these should work:

These were not chosen because I like these sites (although I am pleased that two great people I met at Search Champs were available, and, of course, Findory). Rather, these were the best OpenSearch description URLs I could find. Most of these are hidden, although I hope other people will find other URLs and submit them here.

Now, since the links, while being, as far as I can tell, well-formed, still do not work, if anyone wants to peer in the source code and see what’s going on, please do and let me know what to change.

February 7th, 2006 Posted by | Applications, General, Internet Explorer | 7 comments

1. I can’t verify those, since I don’t have IE7 handy on this computer and am a bit pressed for time, but…

The IE Blog wrote an article about creating a search provider that, if you followed along, would result in something that IE 7 wouldn’t accept as a search provider.

I wrote something up that I was going to post which had instructions on the right way to create a search provider, I’ll post a link here when I get home.

Comment by Stu | February 7, 2006

2. Stu, I think that the problem you’re referring to is that when IE first posted about how to create an OpenSearch Description file, the format was a draft, and IE7 actually supports OpenSearch 1.1 final, not the draft.

You can see the latest spec here: http://opensearch.a9.com/ .

Btw, you’re missing what I consider to be the coolest part: IE7 supports OpenSearch autodiscovery ( http://opensearch.a9.com/spec/1.1/description/#autodiscovery ), just like with RSS. You can see an example at http://uwhub.ca/ – part of IE7′s search box turns orange to indicate an OpenSearch Description file was found.

Comment by Michael Fagan | February 7, 2006

3. Yep, I looked at the xml in your first link, and it’s the same problem that I found. I wrote up how to fix it over at http://spaces.msn.com/n00bnation/blog/

Comment by Stu | February 7, 2006

4. Stu, isn’t that a problem with the XML file, not with my link? And wouldn’t that mean that I can’t add the search engine until they fix it? Or is there a way I can fix their XML?

Comment by Nathan Weinberg | February 7, 2006

5. Whups, my apologies. I meant to say that the initial IE post example is OpenSearch as of draft 1. IE7 has implemented draft 2, which will probably be unchanged by the final version

Comment by Michael Fagan | February 7, 2006

6. I’d still like the option “I need more than a box, I need a bar, and I already have it. Leave me alone.”

Now it’s still there, sitting in the top right corner of my browser, laughing at me for the screen area theft, knowing that I am not able to do something about it… Yet.

By the way, perhaps nice for InsideGoogle; Google updated their home page to (occasionally? on first use?) include a box that can make Google the default SE in IE7 by running an executable file.

Comment by Tim | February 8, 2006

7. Web searches using your favorite search provider
    can now be entered into a search box within the toolbar,
    eliminating the clutter of separate toolbars.
    You can easily choose a provider from the dropdown
    list or add more providers.
    Here’s a list of Search Providers for IE 7.

Comment by rochette | May 18, 2006