- New option to display Windows Defender system tray icon even when there are no pending actions needed.
- Enhanced performance through a new scanning engine.
- Streamlined, simplified user interface and alerts.
- Improved control over programs on your computer with enhanced Software Explorer.
- Multiple language support with globalization and localization features.
- Protection features for all users, whether or not they have administrator rights on the computer.
- Support for assistive technology for individuals who have physical or cognitive difficulties, impairments, and disabilities.
- Support for Microsoft Windows XP Professional x64 Edition.
- Automatic cleaning according to your settings during regularly scheduled scans.
Defender Beta 2 expires December 21, so this free upgrade is not exactly optional.
Be aware that Windows Defender will attempt to delete the entire program and directories of some spyware-ridden file-sharing programs, like KaZaA.
Windows Defender is easilly the best anti-malware software I’ve ever run. It is effective, easy, light on the system; just an all-around pleasure to run. Microsoft issued statistics that say Defender found 22 million pieces of spyware applications in just a 2 1/2 month period earlier this year.
The top 25 most removed programs include Direct Revenue’s ABetterInternet.DrPMon, Total Velocity’s TV Media Display, Twain Tech’s browser add-on for Internet Explorer, WhenU’s SaveNow adware program, Zango SearchAssistant and the Kazaa and BearShare file-sharing applications.