Some Windows Bloggers Get Free Ferrari Laptop

The news came out today that Microsoft (through PR agency Edelman) sent out a bunch of free Ferrari 5000 and 1000 Acer laptops to some bloggers, “no string attached”. Scott Beale showed off pictures of his Ferrari 1000 laptop, which sports a 1.80GHz AMD Turion 64×2, 1 gig of RAM and a 160 gig SATA hard drive, as well as coming preloaded with Windows Vista Ultimate. Considering Scott didn’t write a single article about Microsoft between June 19 and December 14 of this year, it seems strange they’d pick him, but I guess they’re trying to make a friend.

Mitch Denny posted about his new laptop, explaining that it appears to be related to a viral marketing campaign called “Vanishing Point” that is gearing up to Microsoft’s CES keynote.

Funny thing: Scott’s laptop only meets a 2.8 on the Windows Experience Index, which Microsoft says isn’t good enough to run Vista Business, let alone Ultimate. That’s weird (especially since the system specs are plenty good).

Long Zheng has more details, including a list of some people who got one (including Brandon LeBlanc). Bloggers have a “choice” to return it, but I don’t see too many people taking them up on the offer.

Damn. What should I have done to get one? Paging Miel :-)

December 27th, 2006 Posted by | Corporate, General, Vista, Windows | 22 comments

1. “Bloggers have a “choice” to return it, but I don’t see too many people taking them up on the offer.”

That’s because they’ve been assimilated, co-opted by the MS borg for a shiny trinket and their blogs: compromised.

Comment by john | December 27, 2006

2. Apparently I am something like the number five geek blogger in Australia. Since Australia is so small that is probably not a big achievement but enough in my case to get a freebie laptop.

The funny thing was that I was already pretty keen on Vista :)

Comment by Mitch Denny | December 28, 2006

3. Yeah I’ve seen those Ferrari thingies. Kris took some to LesBlogs3 in Paris. They look hot and they sure are fast (so I’ve heard) but I haven’t toyed around with them yet. Thanks for linking to my new blog :) You were the first comment indeed :)

Comment by Miel | December 28, 2006

4. Yeah,
    I’m student (MediaInformatik) in Vienna, Austria and I cannot have work permit (correct, from time to time I’m working without papers, students are also hungry, sometimes :) ), can I have a laptop for free, so I don’t need to go to labs always and make my homeworks overthere

Comment by Ahmet | December 29, 2006

5. [...] January 20th, 2007 A while ago I started a new blog. It’s about something totally different compared to this one, and yet it’s not. I’ll copy a piece out of the introduction so you know what it’s about: “The idea of ‘65 Mustang is to combine my passion for this car with my passion for new media marketing… or whatever you want to call it. The internet has shown recently that there are all new kinds of ways to get what, whether it is a million dollars or a Ferrari. With this blog I want to look at all possibilities I have so I can get my ‘65 Ford Mustang, stealing an idea here and there ;-) ” [...]

Pingback by My 1965 Ford Mustang « ‘Cross The Breeze | January 20, 2007

6. MY NAME IS THARAKA CHATHURANGA FROM SRI LANKA,I’M UNIVERSITY STUDENT.NOW I FOLLOWING COMPUTER ACCOUNTANCY COURSE.I WANT TO COMPUTER/LAPTOP.BUT I HAVE NOT MONEY.PLEASE GIVE ME A LAPTOP.

THARAKA CHATHURANGA
    103
    ARANGALA
    KUDA-BADULLAGAMMANA
    BIBILE
    SRI LANKA

Comment by tharaka | February 10, 2007

7. [...] http://www.edbott.com/weblog/?p=1576 http://www.tipsdr.com/?p=678 http://microsoft.blognewschannel.com/archives/2006/12/27/some-windows-bloggers-get-free-ferrari-lapthttp://thetechnologyfreepress.net/?p=97 [...]

Pingback by Techronical » Look what parked itself in my Driveway - an Acer Ferrari 1000 Laptop! | April 1, 2007

8. I am interested in the getting a free laptop

Comment by Adorn Scott | April 23, 2007

9. I am a student and I need a laptop for study and entertainment ^_^.

Comment by rD | May 23, 2007

10. If u can help, sent to Vo Minh Hai,73 Hoang Van Hoe,Q.Tan Quy, Tan Phu,TP. Ho Chi Minh, Viet Nam ^_^

Comment by rD | May 23, 2007

11. really i need lap top but because am not rich i cant get one i need for my study if you can help me to achieve my dream to get one thanks for your co-operation
    my name ; mostafa mahmoud ali elmasry
    egypt
    cairo- ellkhanka- elgapala lasfar
    postal code : 13755

Comment by mostafa | May 27, 2007

12. mostafa elmasry i need lap top to use it in my study but am not rich

Comment by mostafa | May 27, 2007

13. sir.i am electrical engg.from india.i want to learn programmable logic controoler,scada system.but i can’t able to buy laptop.my father is working in a private ready made garments shop.so,no even salary to buying laptop.so,if possible then plz. sir give me laptop.

Comment by HARDIK SHAH | June 30, 2007

14. reaaaly i want free labtop but it is hardly possible to get a calculator let alone to buy labtop.but i had alot of work with computer can any one help me toget a free labtop.do you thing my dream will come true one day( get labtop and do my research being on my home).
    tewelde afewerki
    Asmara university
    p.o.box 1220
    Asmara eritrea

Comment by tewelde | July 5, 2007

15. I need laptop for research purpose & I am doing MCA

Comment by V.R.Vivek | August 9, 2007

16. Dear sri

How are you i am verry glad to see this site i am a student i can’t buy laptop i followng IT i have not mony can you give me laptop i hope u God bless you.

Comment by thangsuan | August 18, 2007

17. sri can you give me laptop i like second only because of i can’t buy i want to study IT but really i can’t buy

Comment by khaipi | August 21, 2007

18. Sir, I am a student doing ME and i need a laptop to complete my project. I cannot afford to buy it. Can anyone help me out from this problem to get free laptop

Comment by Edwin Jose | August 22, 2007

19. I’m a students, I run a full time study in a general public hospital, so many task I can manage, but it will be helpfull if I can do this patients task using printed materials. I’ll try to buy laptop it is not new but it’s OK. unfortunately 3 months ago the hardisk are run slow and now cant operate it needs 3 months of my salary to pay the fixing bill. I glad if I have the new one… please help me how…. thanks

Comment by Mirza | August 25, 2007

20. dear sir,
    i’am a student.I’m live in sri lanka.now I’m following a computer graphic course.but it’s not practically because I’m
    don’t have a computer.so can you be kind about me please.

Comment by prasad | October 13, 2007

21. i will love to have a laptop

Comment by okenyi onyebuchi | November 10, 2007

22. I am on study tour in Jerusalem and I need a free laptop please help me. thank you.

Comment by peter rk | November 17, 2007